Monday, February 27, 2012

Sounds of Harmony

When I was reading this article all I kept thinking about was the sounds in "The Ring" video.   I think you all know what I'm talking about if you've seen the film....creepy right?  I posted a video in case you don't remember :)  This is an instance where sound definitely plays with your emotions and feelings.   Sound has  a huge impact on cinema experience. If we were to watch a thriller or romance, and there was no score to accompany the image we would be lost.  As a movie goer I need that score, or sound of footsteps against snow - to get the full effect of the scene.

On the other hand, one of my favorite sounds in film is silence.  Silence makes the viewer think, and I believe it makes the audience take in the beauty of a shot.  In Visions we have just finished screening numerous undergraduate films for the festival.  One experimental is coming to mind that is completely silent.  If that were reversed I do not think the film would have the same effect.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment